Sunday 17 June 2012

RAF Cosford Airshow 2012

The Red Arrows arrive at RAF Cosford Airshow 2012

RAF Cosford Air Show 2012

I'm not really an aircraft photographer or enthusiast (despite being in the Royal Air Force!) but I can still appreciate a good air show.  I took a series of images from the show but couldn't help myself whenever I saw an interesting face or situation on the ground.  Next time I go I'm determined to concentrate on the aircraft!

The small set of images can be seen on Flickr HERE

The majority of the images were taken using my Canon 5D Mk2 with a Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 Di USD. The lens performed really well at capturing the fast moving aircraft.  I was shooting in full manual mode and making small adjustments as the weather conditions changed.  By setting the drive mode to Servo I was able to track the aircraft across the sky once I'd locked onto them.  

Shortly after the Red Arrows arrived my lens started to make a horrible grating sound and after another three or four shots it completely failed.  A warning flashed up saying I needed to check the connection points.  Despite cleaning these (rather hurriedly given the air display unfolding above my head) I couldn't get it to work again.  I tried a few shots using my Canon 24-70mm lens and this was fine.  

Back home I carefully cleaned the mounts and reattached the lens, worked fine.  Grrrr.  No doubt this means the lens is on its way out.  Time to dig out the warranty card and packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment